Around 100 people gathered in Tin Shui Wai on Tuesday to commemorate six months since last July’s mob attack in Yuen Long. The rally near the Kingswood malls had been approved by the police.
On July 21, 2019, a stick-wielding mob wearing white shirts indiscriminately attacked civilians, journalists and a lawmaker at Yuen Long’s MTR station, leaving dozens injured. Hong Kong police have been accused of colluding with the assailants after officers were seen walking away from the scene, and emergency calls went unanswered. Reinforcements did not arrive until around 39 minutes later.
Democratic Party lawmaker Lam Cheuk-ting, who was injured in the attack, said at the rally that despite a large amount of evidence, only seven people have been charged in connection with the incident.
“[The perpetrators] were only minor figures. We don’t expect the criminal prosecution to reveal the truth but we cannot give up,” he said.
Lam said that several victims plan to file a civil claim against Police Commissioner Chris Tang.
Lam also said that protesters must persevere in pushing for their “five demands,” to which the crowd responded with “not one less.”
Protests were first sparked last June by a now-withdrawn proposal to draw up an extradition agreement with mainland China. Though the bill was eventually axed, police handling of the crisis has spurred calls for an independent investigation into officers’ behaviour, the unconditional release of arrested protesters, retraction of “riot” characterisation, as well as universal suffrage.
Towards the end of the rally, a man was assaulted after he was accused of taking photos of attendees. He received medical treatment from a volunteer first aider on site.
Riot police formed a cordon to separate the injured man from others. Officers then searched the area and questioned several district councillors before allowing them to leave.