HKFP has a number of platforms available for external, Hong Kong-based contributors below. Our Opinion, Voices and Lens sections are generally unpaid platforms. However, if you are a journalist by profession seeking to pitch a fully-fledged paid feature, please read our freelance guidelines and make your status clear in your pitch. (Please note that we reject all backlinking or “guest post” requests.)
Contact us on:
- Format: The simplest way to contribute written pieces is to email the text or attach a Word document. Submissions should generally be 300-1,000 words in length. If you wish to include images – to which you own the rights – please ensure they are at least 1,200 pixels in width and include captions.
- Content: Please include links to any original sources, facts or figures and be aware of our Code of Ethics. We give priority to pieces that are reacting to recent news in Greater China.
- Editing: HKFP may edit for grammar, spelling and clarity. If you have an especially long-form article or multi-post submission, please discuss it with us in advance. As the editing process often begins immediately, we can only accept the first version submitted – please do not send multiple versions.
- Bios: If you have not written for HKFP before, please include a 2-3 sentence personal bio written in third person, alongside a headshot and any social media/portfolio links you wish to include.
HKFP Lens – our full-width photography section.
- Format: If you are a photographer and would like to share your shots with HKFP, please send us at least 12 high quality, non-watermarked, landscape JPG images on a single theme. Each should be landscape and 1,700 pixels in width. Images may be sent as email attachments, Dropbox, WeTransfer.com or Google Drive along with a 2-3 sentence personal bio written in third person.
- If we are able to publish your piece, we will contact you within 48-hours. Please note that, owing to the high volume of submissions and limited resources, we are not always able to provide a response, but all submissions are carefully considered.
- HKFP has final discretion with regards to what is published on the site. For opinion pieces, we ask for one month of exclusivity, meaning the piece should not appear elsewhere in English.
- When your post is published, please be sure to share it among your networks and on social media. Please read our full terms and conditions here.