The Hong Kong government’s Department of Health has said that a female patient who had visited Wuhan, where there is a pneumonia outbreak, has tested negative for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
A street market near the Chinese city has seen an outbreak of an atypical form of pneumonia, suspected to be linked to SARS. Twenty-seven people have been infected, according to mainland media. The flu-like virus killed hundreds of Hongkongers in 2003.
The woman, who was in Wuhan last week, checked into the Tuen Mun Hospital two days ago after suffering an upper respiratory tract infection. She did not go to any street market in Wuhan, according to RTHK.
According to the Department of Health, the Centre of Health’s Public Health Laboratory Services Branch looked into the case and conducted tests as she was held in isolation. Preliminary results came back negative for SARS, influenza and avian flu.
Another female patient went to the Tseung Kwan O Hospital after visiting Wuhan recently. An unnamed source told RTHK that she did not visit any market in the mainland city.
The source said she did not have a fever after preliminary diagnosis.
As of last Tuesday, Hongkong Post suspended Speedpost services to Wuhan and nearby areas.
- Exclusive: Wanted by Beijing, activist in-exile Wayne Chan says he won’t stop fighting for Hong Kong independence
- Current lawmakers banned from Hong Kong’s 2021 election may not be allowed to stay on, says delegate
- Hong Kong’s director of public prosecutions David Leung resigns over differences with justice secretary