Thousands gathered outside a funeral home on Thursday to pay tribute to a university student who died following a fall near a protest.

Alex Chow Tsz-lok funeral
Photo: Stand News.

Alex Chow Tsz-lok, a 22-year-old second-year Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) student, succumbed to serious injuries he sustained from a one-storey fall in a Tseung Kwan O carpark in late October.

The incident occurred while police were dispersing protesters nearby, though the cause of his fall remains unclear.

Alex Chow Tsz-lok funeral
Photo: Stand News.

Chow’s death came amid increased scrutiny of the police’s handling of mass pro-democracy demonstrations since June.

The force said last month it will recommend a coroner’s court to investigate the student’s death.

Alex Chow Tsz-lok funeral
Photo: Stand News.

Chow’s funeral service was held at the Po Fook Memorial Hall on Thursday evening. HKUST head Wei Shyy and other university management figures entered the funeral home at around 3pm but declined to respond to reporters’ questions.

Alex Chow Tsz-lok funeral
Photo: Stand News.

From around 4pm, riot police were stationed near the Tai Wai MTR station, where a funeral home minivan stopped to pick up service attendees.

Alex Chow Tsz-lok funeral riot police Tai Wai MTR station
Riot police near the Tai Wai MTR station. Photo: Stand News.

Ms Ngan told Stand News that she came out to pay tribute to Chow with her daughter, who was saddened by his death.

“We are all Christians – it was unfortunate for Chow to pass away, but we know we will see each other again in heaven,” she said.

Alex Chow Tsz-lok funeral Ms Ngan
Ms Ngan and her daughter at Alex Chow Tsz-lok’s funeral. Photo: Stand News.

Ngan added that no answers had been provided for reports of protest-related deaths. “But I believe those who hurt or killed others will face judgment in the future,” she said.

Alex Chow Tsz-lok funeral
Students Cheung and Kwok. Photo: Stand News.

Two students surnamed Kwok and Cheung also told Stand News they had never met Chow but were upset by his death.

Cheung said he hoped Chow’s parents will overcome their grief soon. “The truth will come out eventually,” he added.

At around 10pm, hundreds were still seen queuing on the hillside in Tai Wai to pay their respects to Chow.

Hong Kong Free Press relies on direct reader support. Help safeguard independent journalism and press freedom as we invest more in freelancers, overtime, safety gear & insurance during this summer’s protests. 10 ways to support us.

fundraising fundraise banner

Kris Cheng is a Hong Kong journalist with an interest in local politics. His work has been featured in Washington Post, Public Radio International, Hong Kong Economic Times and others. He has a BSSc in Sociology from the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Kris is HKFP's Editorial Director.