A Hong Kong YouTuber has offered a HK$1 million reward for any substantial evidence of police brutality during the ongoing protests.
Jason Chau, commonly known as “Big J”, has some 854,000 subscribers on YouTube. He has been a vocal supporter of the anti-extradition law demonstrations which have evolved into demands for democracy and police accountability.
Posted by Jason – 大J on Friday, 11 October 2019
Chau shared a post on his Facebook account at 11pm on Friday saying that he was looking for substantial evidence of police brutality that occurred on August 31 inside Prince Edward MTR station. He was also seeking evidence of abuses at the widely-criticised San Uk Ling Holding Centre or at police stations, or proof of any deaths linked to the protests.
The August 31 incident refers to the police storming of the MTR station which left dozens injured, sparking unverified claims of protester deaths. On Thursday, Chinese University of Hong Kong student Sonia Ng – who was arrested during the August 31 incident – publicly accused the police of sexual assault when she was detained at Kwai Chung Police Station.
Amnesty International has said that the “reckless and unlawful tactics” used by Hong Kong police have resulted in protester injuries such as broken bones and internal bleeding. But the NGO did not reveal the identities of its sources owing to safety concerns.
Chau said his reward would be paid when the evidence provided led to the successful prosecution of “corrupt police officers.”
“If you are a police officer who is willing to provide information to me to do justice, I guarantee – by my reputation – that I will not reveal your identity,” he said.
“I believe there are police officers who know something,” he added.
光復香港，時代革命。Thank you @dickymanana for the awesome photo.#香港人加油 #不畏強權
Posted by Jason – 大J on Thursday, 10 October 2019
Chau said he may launch a crowdfunding campaign if his reward sum is not enough to attract people to share information. His post was shared around 20,000 times by noon on Saturday.
Meanwhile, the police claimed on Friday that they have received four reports of businesses being blackmailed by a group claiming to be a pro-democracy alliance.
Police Public Relations Branch Acting Chief Superintendent Kong Wing-cheung said at a press conference that the four businesses received faxes and emails threatening to wreck their shops by end of September, unless they pay 0.1 Bitcoin – around HK$6,500.
A screenshot of the messages shared online, written in Chinese, showed that the group used a Chinese name that would translate to “Valiant Defend Hong Kong Alliance.” The group has never been heard of before, but was first mentioned by state-run newspaper Ta Kung Pao on October 6.
The messages said the businesses were pro-communist and supported triad attacks on residents, and thus would have to repent for their sins.
No payments had been sent to the bitcoin wallet provided as of Saturday noon. Kong said the police were investigating the cases and treated them as a priority.
Hong Kong Free Press relies on direct reader support. Help safeguard independent journalism and press freedom as we invest more in freelancers, overtime, safety gear & insurance during this summer’s protests. 10 ways to support us.