Needles were discovered sticking out of bus seats in four separate instances over the past three days, according to the Kowloon Motor Bus Company (KMB). Two passengers were lightly injured, and the matter has been referred to the police.
On Wednesday evening, a 27-year-old passenger on KMB bus 48X to Tsuen Wan was wounded on her thigh. She called the police and later received medical treatment. Around the same time, a 28-year-old passenger was stung on KMB bus 41A to Tsing Yi and was sent to Kwong Wah hospital.
Two more cases have since been discovered, also on KMB buses. On Thursday a pin was found on route 81 to Wo Che, and on Friday morning another was found on route 17 to Yue Man square. No one was injured.
“We already reminded all drivers to pay special attention to any suspicious objects,” said KMB deputy operations director Patrick Pang Shu-hung. “To anyone who means harm, I want to tell you that we have closed-circuit cameras and we will treat this matter very seriously.”
One of the injured passengers wrote on Facebook: “disaster can strike at any moment – who knew this would happen on a bus ride… Warm reminder: everyone please check your seat on public transport before sitting down!”
Other commenters expressed shock and raised questions about whether the needles were contaminated.
Two photos have been circulating on Whatsapp since Wednesday appearing to show needles poking out of seats. According to KMB, similar photos were posted online in January and February this year, but the bus company’s staff could not verify the images.
The KMB has turned over its closed-circuit camera footage to the police, and the case is under investigation by the Shatin District Crime Squad.