129 people sought medical help during Typhoon Hato on Wednesday, with reports of multiple floods and a landslide as the storm swept through Hong Kong.
All typhoon signals were cancelled as of Wednesday evening at around 9pm. According to the Hong Kong Observatory on Thursday, Typhoon Hato “is expected to move inland and dissipate gradually today.”
The Hospital Authority said that as of 6pm on Wednesday, 129 people had sought medical treatment at the Accident and Emergency Departments at public hospitals during the typhoon period.
The government also received 10 reports of flooding, one report of landslide, and 692 reports of fallen trees.
The Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Terminal in Sheung Wan and Tuen Mun Ferry Terminal were reopened on Thursday morning. Public transport service has also returned to normal. The Airport Authority said that it expects to handle over 1,200 flights departing and arriving in Hong Kong on Thursday.
Court services have resumed, and all who were affected by the tropical storm on Wednesday were required to show up in court at 9:30am Thursday.
A Labour Department spokesperson also reminded employers that they should not deduct wages or allowances from employees who were absent or late from work, “as typhoons and rainstorms are natural calamities that cannot be avoided.”
Chief Executive Carrie Lam on Thursday thanked government departments and public institutions for their “professional and reliable” work in rescue efforts and restoring public order. Lam also wished residents and two police officers who suffered injuries a speedy recovery.
A 1.9 metre deep carpark in Heng Fa Chuen was flooded during the storm, with over 20 vehicle owners affected. Heng Fa Chuen district councillor Stanley Ho Ngai-kam told RTHK on Thursday morning that the area has never seen such serious flooding and questioned whether the management office considered the severity of the typhoon when making arrangements.
Typhoon Hato caused massive destruction in the neighbouring city of Macau, leaving eight dead. In the southern Chinese province of Guangdong, where the storm made landfall in Zhuhai, there have been four casualties so far.
- Visas for journalists being vetted by Immigration’s national security unit amid long delays – report
- ‘Protest rally’: Stock price soars by 300% after police arrest Apple Daily owner Jimmy Lai and raid newsroom
- Hong Kong security law: Freelancer for UK’s ITN among two more arrested, as journalism watchdogs sound alarm