The Immigration Department has confirmed that four Hong Kong residents were injured in the massive explosion that hit the northern Chinese city of Tianjin on Wednesday night.
In a press release issued on Thursday evening, the department said that two of the injured Hongkongers had been discharged from a local hospital after receiving treatment while the other two remained hospitalised.
Officials from the Hong Kong government’s representative office in Beijing will closely monitor the situation and provide assistance to the injured residents, the statement said.
The explosion, which originated at a warehouse in the Tianjin Port International Logistics Centre, rocked the whole city and has left a trail of destruction in an area spanning around 20,000 square metres, according to state media.
The death toll has risen to 50 and more than 700 have been injured.
- Covid-19: Hong Kong to allow 30-person local tourism groups, but four-person gathering limit remains
- In Pictures: Why are Hong Kong’s beaches still closed? Shek O businesses decry continuing Covid shutdown
- Hong Kong a ‘dual engine’: Chief Exec. Carrie Lam says city not sidelined by Shenzhen in Greater Bay Area project