Around 100 people were forced to evacuate their homes after a fire broke out at a village in Tsuen Wan in Hong Kong’s New Territories in the early hours of Friday. Two people were sent to hospital for treatment after reportedly feeling unwell.
The blaze at Wang Lung Tsuen, Tsuen Wan was first reported to the Fire Services Department at 4:11 a.m. Friday. It was upgraded to a No. 3 alarm 38 minutes later.
By 7 a.m., the fire had largely been extinguished. About 100 people had evacuated to safe places.
A 15-year-old and an 80-year-old felt unwell after inhaling smoke and were sent to Yan Chai Hospital for treatment.
In total, 29 fire trucks and six ambulances were deployed and 150 firefighters were mobilised to fight the fire.
Meeting the press after the blaze had been put out, the Fire Services Department’s New Territories South Division Officer Yue Tsz-kit said the fire broke out at a car repair shop and spread across three zinc huts.
“As the fire had a strong intensity, affected a large area and had started to spread, while water sources were quite far away… the fire was upgraded to a No. 3 alarm at 4:39 a.m.,” Yue said.
Fire services were still investigating the cause of the fire.
Support HKFP | Code of Ethics | Error/typo? | Contact Us | Newsletter | Transparency & Annual Report
Support press freedom & help us surpass 1,000 monthly Patrons: 100% independent, governed by an ethics code & not-for-profit, Hong Kong Free Press is #PressingOn with impartial, award-winning, frontline coverage.