A number of Covid-19 social distancing rules remain in place in Hong Kong. HKFP rounds up the latest regulations. Last update: November 8, 2022.
What are the latest restrictions?
After relaxations to some social distancing measures in September, the latest Covid-19 social distancing rules include:
- Public gatherings of more than 12 people are banned.
- A Vaccine Pass came into effect on February 22, the use of which is required to enter designated “scheduled premises,” including restaurants, bars and gyms.
- Not complying with compulsory testing directions or notices will result in a fixed penalty of HK$10,000. The maximum penalty will be a HK$25,000 fine and up to six months in prison.
Although face masks remain mandatory, including outdoors, the government has allowed exemptions for those exercising outdoors or in gyms and sport stadiums.
Eating and drinking are also banned on all public transportation, including ferries and trams, and paid areas of MTR stations.
List of scheduled premises under Cap. 599F – click to view
- Party rooms
- Beauty parlours
- Karaoke establishments
- Mahjong houses
- Swimming pools
- Cruise ships
- Amusement game centres
- Places of amusement (e.g. ice staking rinks)
- Places of public entertainment (e.g. movie theatres)
- Beauty parlours
- Event premises
- Hotels or guesthouses
- Shopping malls
- Department stores
- Hair salons
- Massage parlours
- Sports premises
- Religious venues
Is there a ban on household gatherings?
No, from April 21, there are no limits on the number of households for gatherings held on private premises.
What is the public gathering limit?
Gatherings of more than 12 people are banned in public places. Groups have to be at least 1.5 metres apart.
Are there exemptions for families? – Click to view
Exemptions are made for people living in the same household.
Can a family of more than 12 people sit together in restaurants? – Click to view
Only 12 people are allowed on each table in restaurants.
Are babies included? – Click to view
Yes, babies count as a person.
What is the Vaccine Pass?
HKFP has compiled a separate guide on the latest rules on the Covid-19 vaccine pass. Click here to read it: HKFP Guide: Hong Kong’s Covid-19 vaccine pass – frequently asked questions