Children between the ages of five and 11 can begin receiving the Sinovac coronavirus vaccine from Friday, while reservations for children’s BioNTech jabs open next month.
Last week, the government announced it would lower the age threshold for the China-made Covid-19 vaccine Sinovac from 12 to five. Days later, a panel of experts recommended that children as young as five may receive a smaller dose of the BioNTech vaccine for off-label use.
- For children to receive the Sinovac jab at a community vaccination centre or specified clinics under the Hospital Authority, parents or legal guardians may begin booking appointments through the government’s Covid-19 website from 8 a.m. on Friday, with same-day vaccinations available.
- The Health Department’s Student Health Service Centres in Chai Wan, Lam Tin, Sha Tin, Tuen Mun and Western District will offer the jabs to children with reservations.
- A list of private doctors in the city will also administer Sinovac to children.
Children administered with the Sinovac vaccine will receive their second dose after a 28-day interval.
Meanwhile the government will field outreach requests from schools to organise doctors’ visits or to deploy mobile vaccination stations to campuses to offer jabs.
- The German-made BioNTech vaccine will only be available at three community vaccination centres dedicated to children, owing to the procedures needed to dilute it for appropriate dosage.
- Starting on February 9, parents may make reservations on behalf of their children through the government booking website. Vaccinations will begin on February 16.
- Appointments for the Hong Kong Children’s Hospital in Ngau Tau Kok and the Yuen Chau Kok Sports centre in Sha Tin will be available starting February 16.
- Appointments for Gleneagles Hospital in Wong Chuk Hang will be available from February 24.
Children who receive the BioNTech vaccine will take their second dose after a three-month interval.
The government will also offer a special appointment service for schools at the children’s vaccination centres or transportation services, upon request.