Chinese police in Zhuhai have confirmed that a Hong Kong man was arrested last Friday on a cross-border mega bridge for a crime he allegedly committed in 2012.
The statement came after reports emerged that a man had gone missing on the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge. The man’s son told local media that his father had texted him at 3pm to say that he was being detained while travelling through an artificial island staffed by mainland Chinese police en route to the semi-autonomous city of Macau.
Part of the bridge, connecting Hong Kong and Macau, falls under Chinese jurisdiction. Zhuhai’s Public Security Bureau said in a statement on Monday that it and the immigration inspection authority had been conducting a joint operation on the artificial island last Friday, despite not normally hosting a checkpoint there.
Zhuhai police said they apprehended a wanted 53-year-old suspect, surnamed Chung, while inspected a bus heading towards Macau at 3pm last Friday.
Chung’s family have not confirmed that he was the man reported missing in local media on Friday.
Zhuhai police said that Chung was wanted for his alleged involvement in organised cross-border phone smuggling.
“He is an important member of the smuggling group. The Zhuhai immigration inspection authority has transferred Chung to the investigative unit,” the Bureau said.
Chinese President Xi Jinping is set to visit Macau for the 20th anniversary of the territory’s handover on December 20.
Zhuhai police said it had captured several suspects on the run since it began checks on the bridge on December 10. “Everyone is equal before the law. Anyone who breaks the law will be pursued by the law,” it added.
Hong Kong Police Public Relations Branch Chief Superintendent Kwok Ka-chuen said at a press conference on Monday that he could not comment on individual cases. But he confirmed that a missing person report was filed on Saturday.
Hong Kong Free Press relies on direct reader support. Help safeguard independent journalism and press freedom as we invest more in freelancers, overtime, safety gear & insurance during this summer’s protests. 10 ways to support us.
- Covid-19: Almost 3,000 Hongkongers sent wrong test results by SMS, as stricter rules come into force
- Hong Kong’s Carrie Lam to resume monthly Q&A in legislature two weeks after opposition who ‘insulted’ her quit
- Policy Address 2020: No plan for Hong Kong democracy in my term, says Carrie Lam, as address receives lowest public rating yet