Hong Kong police have banned a planned march in Tsuen Wan and Kwai Tsing on Sunday, citing concerns over public safety. Instead, the force has approved a stationary rally in Tsuen Wan Park — the protest’s original endpoint.
Natalie Hong, superintendent at the New Territories South Regional Headquarters, said at a police regular press conference on Friday that the march was prohibited owing to concerns over public order, public safety, and protection of the rights and freedoms of others.
Hong said the proposed demonstration at Kwai Fong South Bus Terminus was banned because it would affect traffic in the area and threaten the safety of the public, including protesters.
She said Kwai Chung police station, Tsuen Wan police station and New Territories South Regional Police Headquarters, which appear along the march route, were previously besieged by protesters in July.
“We have reasons to believe if a rally and a march are approved, similar situations may occur again,” she said.
Organisers of Sunday’s march are calling on attendees to reiterate the five demands of anti-extradition law protesters, as well as condemn alleged police misconduct and collusion with triads.
Police have previously banned marches on weekends citing public safety concerns, but such efforts have failed with protesters taking to the streets nonetheless.
A march in Kwun Tong on Saturday against the installation of smart lampposts owing to privacy concerns has been approved by the police.
The march was scheduled to start from Tsun Yip Street Playground and end at the Zero Carbon Building in Kowloon Bay.
Protesters have also proposed blocking traffic around the airport on Saturday.
Earlier, a Hong Kong court granted an extension to an injunction to clear protesters in the airport except for those in designated areas until further notice.
Police Deputy District Commander of the airport Jason Lau said the injunction applied to the whole artificial island where the airport is based.
He warned any action to affect the operation of the airport may violate the injunction and those who do so could be charged with contempt of court.
Hong Kong Free Press relies on direct reader support. Help safeguard independent journalism and press freedom as we invest more in freelancers, overtime, safety gear & insurance during this summer’s protests. 10 ways to support us.
- Interview: UK expert says Hong Kong police lost credibility during protests due to ‘completely inept’ decisions
- Hong Kong’s Carrie Lam says she’s very willing to meet the public, calls legislature without opposition ‘more rational’
- Foreign minister says UK is considering whether to withdraw British judges from Hong Kong’s top court