Hong Kong Immigration has denied entry to Tiananmen Massacre survivor Zhou Fengsuo.
The activist told HKFP that he intended to take part in the annual July 1 pro-democracy march, but was not allowed to enter the city after his Cathay Pacific flight from the US landed on Sunday morning.
He said that he was injured during a physical altercation as the authorities attempted to force him back on to a flight to the US, where he lives in exile: “[A]bout seven police forced me into a wheelchair, pushed me hard down while I tried to free myself. One bending my hand, two holding my arm, from each side. I was in acute pain, cried out ‘Ahh, police violence’ then they stopped.”
Zhou instead boarded a flight to Taiwan, where he arrived mid-afternoon on Sunday.
The Immigration Department told HKFP it would not comment on individual cases.
— 周锋锁 Fengsuo Zhou (@ZhouFengSuo) June 30, 2019
The 1989 massacre ended months of student-led demonstrations in China as the military was deployed to suppress protesters in Beijing. It is estimated that hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people died.
Zhou was a fourth-year physics student at the Tsinghua University in 1989. He became a student leader of the Beijing Autonomous University Students Union during the movement and now lives in exile in the US. Zhou had previously worked in finance and currently serves as the president of the group Humanitarian China.
The Hong Kong Free Press #PressForFreedom 2019 Funding Drive seeks to raise HK$1.2m to support our non-profit newsroom and dedicated team of multi-media, multi-lingual reporters. HKFP is backed by readers, run by journalists and is immune to political and commercial pressure. This year’s critical fundraiser will provide us with the essential funds to continue our work into next year.