German authorities have confirmed that it received three applications from asylum seekers from Hong Kong since 2017, after news broke on Wednesday that wanted activists Ray Wong and Alan Li were granted refugee status in the country.
Wong and Li, who were leading members of the pro-independence group Hong Kong Indigenous, faced rioting charges related to the 2016 Mong Kok unrest. They fled the city in November 2017 ahead of their trials, and were granted refugee status in Germany last May.
The German Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) said it received two asylum applications from Hong Kong in 2017, and one in 2018. A BAMF document dated this January showed there was one case from Hong Kong listed under “other procedures.”
The authority declined to comment on individual cases for privacy and data protection reasons. It said that asylum seekers have the chance to meet with the authorities in person and explain their situation, and the final determination is made independently and without political considerations.
The BAMF told HK01 that the third, 2018 case from Hong Kong “ended without decision” and that proceedings had been closed – meaning the application had effectively been denied.
Speaking at parliament
Wong and Li will be speaking at the German Parliament on June 4, on the 30th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square crackdown. The event is hosted by the Green Party, and the duo will speak alongside an academic Kristin Shi-Kupfer and writer Zhou Qing.
Wong previously told the Financial Times that he decided to reveal his situation to “raise awareness of Hong Kong’s extradition amendment and the 30th anniversary of China’s Tiananmen Square massacre on June 4.”
It remains unclear whether the Hong Kong government will seek to extradite the two activists, with the city’s security chief and justice chief dodging the question on Wednesday.
Lawmaker Regina Ip called on the government to “clarify” the situation with Berlin. Both Ip and her pro-Beijing colleague lawmaker Priscilla Leung said that Wong was wrong to link his situation to the extradition bill currently moving through the legislature.
The controversial bill, first proposed by the administration in February, would allow Hong Kong to accept extradition requests from jurisdictions with which it did not have a pre-existing rendition deal. Lawyers, journalists, foreign politicians and businesses have raised concerns, in particular, over the risk of residents being extradited to the mainland.
Leung said that the two men’s offences were committed in Hong Kong and breached local laws, meaning that there would not be any basis for China to request extradition.
The Hong Kong Free Press #PressForFreedom 2019 Funding Drive seeks to raise HK$1.2m to support our non-profit newsroom and dedicated team of multi-media, multi-lingual reporters. HKFP is backed by readers, run by journalists and is immune to political and commercial pressure. This year’s critical fundraiser will provide us with the essential funds to continue our work into next year.
- Covid-19: Jordan restaurant owners reel from Hong Kong’s first lockdown and an unending evening dine-in ban
- Covid-19: Sudden evening lockdown in Yau Ma Tei yields one positive case after 330 people undergo compulsory testing
- HSBC chief defends bank’s support of Hong Kong security law and democrat’s account closure