Cheung Kin-wah, a former director of the Bridge of Rehabilitation care home, has been found guilty of assaulting an underaged and visually impaired woman over 30 years ago.
The 57-year-old was convicted of five counts of indecent assault on Thursday. The prosecution said Cheung kissed and groped his victim on five occasions between 1982 and 1986, starting when she was just seven years old.
Deputy Judge Ernest Lin said that the woman’s testimony was credible and could provide enough evidence about what happened, according to RTHK. It was also established by medical experts during trial that the woman was able to identify Cheung at a close distance, despite her visual impairment.
The woman told the court that she was afraid to report the assaults at the time, but decided to go to the police in 2016 after hearing about Cheung being embroiled in another case where he was accused of raping a mentally disabled woman.
On the other hand, Lin dismissed Cheung’s testimony as self-serving and unreliable.
Cheung was remanded in custody and will be sentenced on June 6, pending a victim impact report and a report on Cheung’s background.
Cheung had two previous brushes with the law, including allegations of raping a woman with moderate intellectual disability in 2014. The charge was dismissed in May 2017 after the woman was deemed unfit to testify.
He was also prosecuted in 2002 for allegedly molesting two mentally disabled residents under his watch, but he was acquitted after the court held that the victims’ testimonies were contradictory.
Established more than 20 years ago, the Bridge of Rehabilitation mainly served mentally disabled and people who were previously diagnosed with mental illnesses. The Social Welfare Department revoked its licence in 2016 after the media revealed that at least six residents died at the home.
The Hong Kong Free Press #PressForFreedom 2019 Funding Drive seeks to raise HK$1.2m to support our non-profit newsroom and dedicated team of multi-media, multi-lingual reporters. HKFP is backed by readers, run by journalists and is immune to political and commercial pressure. This year’s critical fundraiser will provide us with the essential funds to continue our work into next year.
- EXCLUSIVE: Only 17% of Hongkongers approve of proposal to allow HK election voting in China despite Lam claim – HKFP-PORI poll
- Covid-19: Beaches to reopen on Fri, dine-in limit raised to 6 people – but 4-person public gathering limit to stay
- Hong Kong to conduct compulsory, limited Covid-19 testing and launch tracking app, beaches to reopen