Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam has said that she has asked her administration to make improvements with press briefings after two incidents attracted criticism.
Last month, the chair and the vice-chair of the Task Force on Land Supply – both over 60 years old – met the press at government headquarters to speak about their final report. However, the government did not provide a room, and the two officials and reporters had to stand for 80 minutes. Hong Kong Journalists Association Chair Chris Yeung said it was an “unbelievable” arrangement.
In another case which ruffled feathers, the press were only invited to visit the soon-to-open Central-Wan Chai Bypass on Monday – days after visits by lawmakers and district councillors last week. Sunday’s Community Chest 50th Anniversary Walk for Millions also included the tunnel in its route.
Lam said ahead of the weekly Executive Council meeting on Tuesday that she has noted concerns from the media over the arrangements.
“I also think there is room for improvement over the two incidents, so I have asked all bureaus and departments to be more proactive in making arrangements with the press to explain things, or to visit important facilities,” she said.
“In fact, extensive media coverage by the press is beneficial to the Hong Kong government’s work,” she added. “I respect the press’ function to monitor the government, and I hope to let residents know about our policies and facilities better through extensive media coverage.”