The pro-independence Hong Kong National Party has submitted an appeal after the government officially banned the party last month over national security concerns.
It was banned under the Societies Ordinance – the first such case since the 1997 Handover. Party convenor Andy Chan had 30 days to file an appeal to the chief executive and the Executive Council. The deadline was Wednesday.
Chan told reporters that his appeal document included a request that Chief Executive Carrie Lam and eight executive council members – who would normally decide the appeal – recuse themselves.
The eight are Secretary for Security John Lee, Secretary for Education Kevin Yeung, Executive Council Convener Bernard Chan, Executive Councillors and lawmakers Regina Ip, Wong Kwok-kin, Kenneth Lau, Horace Cheung, as well as Executive Councillor Ronny Tong.
“The last part of the appeal letter mentioned that the Chief Executive and eight executive council members had publicly commented on the case, so I requested that they recuse themselves from dealing with this appeal,” Chan said.
Chan also said he could not reveal the content of his appeal letter.
Under the Societies Ordinance, any one who manages or assists in the management of an unlawful society may be subject to a HK$100,000 fine and three years in prison.
Additional reporting: Tom Grundy.
- ‘Serious provocation’: Beijing blasts Hong Kong democrat primaries after initial results reveal
- Most US business chamber members surveyed concerned about Hong Kong security law, over half feel ‘less safe’
- HKFP Lens: Wang Chau hosts Hong Kong’s last jackfruit festival as villagers face imminent eviction