Two anti-independence protesters have been fined HK$3,000 each for assaulting a man who tried to stop a fight during a pro-independence rally last year.

The pro-independence Hong Kong National Party originally planned to host a rally at the Tsim Sha Tsui clock tower on June 30 last year, but the event was cancelled as did not receive approval from the police. At Star House near the clock tower, anti-independence activists and several men who wished to record the scenes nevertheless gathered and clashes unfolded.

According to the prosecution, the duo, Roger Olausen and Giok Kheng, surrounded the men during the clash. Another man who was passing by tried to intervene. Olausen and Giok assaulted the man by pulling his clothes and pushing him. The man reported the case to the police afterwards.

【突發】「你唔係中國人就走啦!X你老母!」(影片粗口注意)【詳細報道/記者被圍實錄請看】晚上大約8時,尖沙嘴碼頭附近,過百疑似社團人士及藍絲阿叔大媽,向外國人及外國記者惡言挑釁,有市民出言抱不平亦遭殃。===========今日相關新聞:● 古惑仔空群而出 街頭聚集等● 趁習總訪港 古惑仔全城刮激進派 真正目的耐人尋味● 文藝晚會 觀眾畫面見江澤民零反應 見習總即拍爛手掌● 彭麗媛訪老人院 警員沿途站崗 =========== 走過廿年,人面全非。盡覽香港過去與未來,即睇壹週Plus《回歸二十年》專題:

Posted by 壹週刊 on Friday, 30 June 2017

The duo surrendered themselves to the police on August 10 last year. Olausen admitted to the crime, though Giok initially denied involvement. They were both charged with common assault.

Both admitted to the crime on Wednesday at the Kowloon City Magistrates’ Courts.

Olausen, a day labourer for moving companies, told the court that he believed the passerby was an independence advocate, as the passerby told him to “go back to the mainland,” thus he acted out of anger.

Giok, a transport company porter, also said he assaulted the passerby since he was angered after being told to return to China.

Kowloon City Magistrates’ Courts. File Photo: Apple Daily.

Magistrate Amy Chan said that the two groups of people clashed because of differences in political ideals, and noted that the passerby did not suffer significant injuries. They were handed a HK$3,000 fine each.

Olausen, a British national, was fined for HK$300 in 2014 for criminal damage after he damaged a table in Mong Kok belonging to the Falun Gong group. He said at the time that he committed the crime because of his discontent towards the pro-democracy Occupy protest.

Giok was jailed for three months last December for unlawful assembly and common assault, after he attacked then-lawmaker Nathan Law at the Hong Kong airport. He was released on bail pending appeal.


Kris Cheng

Kris Cheng is a Hong Kong journalist with an interest in local politics. His work has been featured in Washington Post, Public Radio International, Hong Kong Economic Times and others. He has a BSSc in Sociology from the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Kris is HKFP's Editorial Director.