Cheung Kin-wah, a former director of the Bridge of Rehabilitation care home, is facing five counts of indecent assault related to events that took place over 30 years ago.
The 56-year-old appeared before the Eastern Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday afternoon. According to the charges, Cheung allegedly assaulted a child on five occasions between 1982 and 1986.
The case has been transferred to the District Court and will resume on December 29. Cheung has been released on bail for HK$10,000.
Cheung also allegedly had non-consensual sexual intercourse with a woman with a moderate intellectual disability in 2014, but the charge was dismissed in May after the woman was deemed unfit to testify.
Cheung was prosecuted in 2002 for allegedly molesting two mentally disabled residents under his watch, but he was acquitted after the court held that the victims’ testimonies were contradictory.
The Social Workers Registration Board decided to institute a disciplinary hearing against Cheung, but Cheung said that he did not receive an official notice and did not attend the hearing.
His status is currently listed as “not yet renewed” on the list of registered social workers.
The Bridge of Rehabilitation was embroiled in another scandal last year, after media reports revealed that at least six residents died at the home. The Social Welfare Department then revoked the temporary licence of the care home – the first time a care home had its licence taken away.
Established more than 20 years ago, the Bridge of Rehabilitation mainly served mentally disabled and people who were previously diagnosed with mental illnesses.
- Hong Kong judge acquits district councillor of police assault charges, says officers ‘told lie after lie’
- Privacy Commissioner says ‘no impropriety’ in Hong Kong publishing personal data amid US sanctions ‘doxxing’ row
- Hong Kong public broadcaster RTHK removes interview with ‘wanted’ activist Nathan Law citing security law