Police have identified the young woman who is suspected of planting a fake bomb outside Harbour City in Tsim Sha Tsui Tuesday afternoon, according to sources cited by RTHK.
A security guard called the police at around 2pm Tuesday after discovering a suspicious object outside a restaurant at the shopping mall. After deploying a robot to detonate the object, police confirmed at 3:49pm that it was a fake bomb.
Security footage showed a young woman walking on the waterfront area, where she took the object from her bag, placed it on the ground, and walked away.
According to sources cited by RTHK, police have identified the woman suspected to be involved. She is currently being treated in a hospital and is not in a suitable condition to be investigated due to her health. Police will make an arrest as soon as her condition allows, the public broadcaster said.
Police previously said they were looking for a young woman, aged around 18 with shoulder-length hair, and wearing a black sleeveless shirt, black trousers, and dark trainers.
The bomb scare led to around 600 people being evacuated from the popular mall, as firefighters and bomb disposal officers were called in. The area reopened for business shortly after 4pm.
Tsim Sha Tsui police divisional commander Yolanda Yu Hoi-kwan said that the device was made of seven paper rolls with electric cables and a timer.
“The police will investigate the case starting from all aspects, including terrorism,” she said.
The maximum penalty for a bomb threat is five years’ imprisonment and a HK$150,000 fine.
- Covid-19: Almost 3,000 Hongkongers sent wrong test results by SMS, as stricter rules come into force
- Hong Kong’s Carrie Lam to resume monthly Q&A in legislature two weeks after opposition who ‘insulted’ her quit
- Policy Address 2020: No plan for Hong Kong democracy in my term, says Carrie Lam, as address receives lowest public rating yet