The government does not work with, or make compromises with, “dark forces”, Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying has said, in response to recent comments from a rural leader.
New Territories heavyweight Leung Fuk-yuen claimed on a Monday radio programme that the government, businesses, rural groups, and even “dark forces” – suggesting organised criminals – were in cooperation on the matter of land usage in New Territories.
“I can tell you clearly, the government does not work with any triads or dark forces,” the Chief Executive said. “We do not make compromises with triads or dark forces.”
He continued by saying that the police have been taking action across the New Territories against triad and illegal activity, and he has instructed the police commissioner to strengthen such actions.
He also urged the public, especially residents in the area, to support the police’s work, and report any illegal activity related to organised crime.
“The government stands strong – we are absolutely not soft-handed in suppressing triad activity,” he said.
The statements came after lawmaker-elect Eddie Chu Hoi-dick received death threats. Chu questioned why a project to provide 17,000 public housing flats in Wang Chau, Yuen Long – on a piece of land turned into a car park – had evolved into a 4,000-flat project on a piece of greenbelt land where there were three villages.
Chu previously accused pro-Beijing lawmaker Leung Che-cheung and rural leader Tsang Shu-wo of colluding with each other to keep the land from being taken back and developed. Tsang has been accused of operating a car park on the disputed government-owned land.
He had told the Chief Executive about his concerns in a phone call after he was put under police protection following death threats.
In response, Leung said the plan to build 17,000 units had not changed.
“This target of 17,000 units has not changed… we do it on the principle of easier projects before more difficult ones, meaning we have 4,000 units that we can work on as soon as possible,” Leung said.
“This is absolutely not caused by the government or the Housing Authority making a compromise with certain local forces – or those described by some as triads or dark forces.”
Editor’s note: Digital media outlets such as Hong Kong Free Press are currently barred from attending government press conferences.
- Covid-19: Hong Kong daily infections fall below 100 but death toll rises to 37, as gov’t refutes concerns over mainland testing team
- Exclusive: Wanted by Beijing, activist in-exile Wayne Chan says he won’t stop fighting for Hong Kong independence
- Current lawmakers banned from Hong Kong’s 2021 election may not be allowed to stay on, says delegate