16 food trucks may start operating as soon as the end of this year, said Gregory So Kam-leung, the Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development, on an RTHK radio programme on Thursday. A cooking contest was held by the selection panel of the Food Truck Pilot Scheme to decide who would run the gourmet trucks and 16 winners were announced on Wednesday.

They will need to apply for the necessary licenses and equip their trucks before starting to operate and the trucks will be stationed at eight different tourist attractions.

Contestants in the food truck cooking contest. Photo: Gov HK.

The creators of eight Chinese-style dishes, four Western-style dishes and four international dishes were chosen as winners. Several established restaurants, such as Chee Kei, which specialises in wonton noodles, are among the winners. Winning dishes include “Victoria Peak,” a barbecue pork cru-batta-wich, and sakura shrimp umami sauce fried rice.

The introduction of food trucks was proposed by Financial Secretary John Tsang early last year. 51 applications were chosen to participate in the contest out of 192 applicants in the initial round of screening.

Gregory So (right) visiting a food truck in Australia in August 2015. Photo: Facebook/Greg So.

So told Mingpao that in the long run, laws may be amended for food trucks. He said that while food trucks can serve pizza in other countries, Hong Kong law does not allow pizza to be made in vehicles.

He also said that seven of the 16 contestants selected are creating their own businesses for the first time.

Latest

Chantal Yuen

Chantal Yuen is a Hong Kong journalist interested in issues dealing with religion and immigration. She majored in German and minored in Middle Eastern studies at Princeton University.