Hundreds of Hongkongers joined an annual march on Sunday to commemorate the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre.
Organisers – the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China – estimated that 1,500 people marched from Wanchai to Sheung Wan’s China Liaison Office.
Police estimated that 780 attended.
The turnout represents a drop of around half since last year’s rally, which organisers say attracted 3,000 people.
In recent months, student and localist groups have said the annual commemorative events have become “rigid”, with some organising alternative events.
Richard Tsoi, vice chairman of Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, said, “We are satisfied with the number of participants this year. Of course we look at previous numbers in the last few years and there are changes. This year there were slightly fewer participants than last year.”
“I think that in the future, we hope to do campaigning and urge Hong Kong citizens to not forget June 4th,” he added.
The annual June 4th vigil will take place in Victoria Park this Saturday evening.
Text: Tom Grundy.